- In the first possession of the game, Western punted after a four-play drive, including a near-interception of senior quarterback Brandon Smith by Tennessee sophomore strong safety Eric Berry.
- On Tennessee’s first possession, senior quarterback Jonathan Crompton threw an interception straight into the hands of Western freshman cornerback Jamal Forrest, who fumbled after being hit immediately. Junior linebacker Thomas Majors recovered for the Toppers, who responded by going four-and-out again.
- Tennessee senior tailback Montario Hardesty then fumbled a screen pass from Hardesty for the Volunteers’ second turnover of the game, but Western only gained two yards on six plays in the subsequent drive and was forced to punt.
- Western redshirt freshman Jamarcus Allen was injured on the second-to-last play of the quarter but walked off the field under his own power and is expected to return.
- Smith opened the game 1-5 for four yards in his first start under center. The Volunteer defense held all Western rushers except senior running back Tyrell Hayden and sophomore Bobby Rainey for negative yards.
- Tennessee enters the second quarter on Western’s 15-yard line after picking up a first down on the final play of the first quarter.