Sophomore guard Sergio Kerusch was named the Sun Belt Conference player of the week on Monday afternoon. Kerusch had two double-doubles this week.
He scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the Toppers’ win over Middle Tennessee State, and then scored 18 points and grabbed another 11 rebounds on Saturday against New Orleans.
Kerusch has proved to be a valuable sixth man for the Toppers.
As for the first edition of the College Heights Herald Sun Belt Top-Five Power Rankings (we’ll try to make this a weekly feature):
1. Western Kentucky: Picked up a win over Middle Tennessee State on Thursday and another win over New Orleans on Saturday. They’re winning with a balanced scoring effort but are being held back by a lack of depth.
2. Arkansas-Little Rock: The Trojans are the hottest team in the conference, winning their last four games, including over Middle Tennessee State on Saturday night.
3. North Texas: The Mean Green’s 4-3 conference record doesn’t come across as the most attractive, but they’ve won three straight, and two of their conference losses came in overtime to both Middle Tennessee State and UALR.
4. Middle Tennessee State: After starting out their conference slate undefeated, the Blue Raiders have lost two straight on the road. Now they try to get back on the winning track when they play Arkansas State in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
5. South Alabama: The defending regular season champions aren’t quite having the season they had a year ago, and a 24-point loss to Troy isn’t helping their cause in the CHH Power Rankings.